Followers

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Special collection


I love to collect things… of all kinds … one of the collections that just started to form on its own was a collection of scissors from the women in our families… 


So all of a sudden I had 12 pairs of scissors… and wanted to display them someplace… so… what better place than my sewing room… 

One pair of scissors is from our daughter... when we had a business when she was growing up, she use to come into the workshop and TAKE scissors... finally one day I bought her a pair of her own.. had her put her name on them... and said these are YOURS... don't take any more from the workshop...   okay???  Well you know how kids are... and when she moved out we found at least 6 pairs of scissors in her room!!!  Wow... we struck it rich with scissors... anyway... it is a fond memory and so I put a pair of her scissors up there... the ones she had written her name on...  I kept them as a memory a long time ago now...  

I also have a pair of scissors from my Grandmother, mother and me... so there are actually 5 generations of scissors up there... 


I also had been given my Mom’s sewing basket… and when I was going thru it, she and I were talking about all the memories that each piece in the basket reminded us of… funny how some things really stick in your mind, isn’t it???

Well I also found a couple of wooden darning eggs… I don’t think people darn anymore… at all… but I do have two of them.. hung one up with the scissors…

One of the eggs is from my paternal grandmother who use to darn socks all the time... I think she loved to do it... and really did a beautiful job with it too... a pair of her scissors are up there too... 

My maternal grandmother use to sew everything by hand... dresses and all kinds of things... and this was during a time, when a lot of women had machines... but she was a woman of doing things herself at that time in her life... she had been pampered all her life until the depression and then lost everything she ever had... so she cherished things that she regained in her life... very dearly too... and her scissors were something she loved..  they are on the wall.. 

The picture is a picture of my Great Grandmother who sewed all the time… hemming cloth napkins, mending a shirt that she had made for my great Grandfather… all kinds of things… so I felt her picture needed to be there along with her scissors…  as a reminder of days gone by…

WE have really gotten away from so many things that women of yester year did… that is for sure…  and some of them are things we really need to know for this life…  but we have lost some of them…

Hope you have a fun day…  make sure you enjoy yourself in all ways… make a collection of something special and hang it up… or display it as a lovely reminder… 

Thanks for stopping by…
Love, Light and Peace....Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment