Followers

Monday, June 27, 2011

Toyz in the 1920's

 AS I have said a few times on this blog... my Mom of 92 years old sent me some pictures of her growing up... and I had to do something with them.. .so I made her a wedding book... which you can see if you scroll down... and then I made this one on the Toys that she and her brother  had while growing up... he is 5 years younger than she is..

The cover is made with canvas that I colored with inks... and then decorated with Grunge board and also the bird cage template... which I made by using AC tape... and covered cardboard and then cut... for a nice silver look...  the little bird was colored with Alcohol inks... I strung some bead to hang off the cage...

The Grunge letters I used paint and then sanded and then colored with more ink...  and then used Distress glitters to accent the letters... all edges were done with Tissue tape... all of these are supplies from Tim Holtz line from Ranger...


 I think that this little picture, even though my Mom doesnt' have a toy was playing that she was fairy... so I put some wings on her.. this was butterfly from a piece of K and Co paper... and then I used Crackle paint on it... to get the wings to crackle...  I actually followed the technique from this weeks Grungy Monday Challenge... a Tim Holtz technique ...

The tatting was done from someone in my family, but not really sure who... there were quite a few of these... I totally think that they are so very SPECIAL... and wanted them to be saved.  so I put one here  for safe keeping...
The pin and ticket are Ideaology items from Tims line of great things to have...

 I wanted to carry the butterfly though out the book... but .... I really didn't get as many in as I could have...

This is a layered butterfly... stamped, and painted the bottom one... stamped , painted and glittered the second one... and then the top one is just vellum...

The Flowers are from Pretties by Bonnie  I printed them, painted them with H20's and then cut them out... a pearl is in the center of each one...

Again tissue tape by Tim is on all the edges... love that stuff.. don't know how I did books prior to having it...


Trike page.... how cute is this little picture..???  Check out the huge bonnet...  a little trike and a favorite little doll...

I used some Just Rite stamps on these pages... and also a Martha Stewart fence...

Some of my ribbon is hanging off the tag... I love that ribbon...  can hardly wait to use more of it...



 I started to get in to using some more spellbinders on these pages.. and also went through all my OLD pictures of things to use as embellishments...  a little ribbon and a Ideology PLAY tag... held on by a dragonfly brad...

How cute are these pictures... and look at the high button shoes... not something I would want to wear... and my mom at this age was in Jacksonville Florida... not a cool temp wise place to live...


 A display of all her toys with her her Nanny... who she loved dearly... The nanny's name was Mary and when we took a trip to Florida when I was only 8 we had to look up Mary... and so I got to meet her too...

Dolls, buggy's, trikes.... teddy bears and more things that we can't even tell what they were...

These pictures were tiny... only about 2X 3 inches in size...

The BOW... my seam binding tape dyed... love the antique look it gives to the page...


 A larger picture of my Mom and her doll baby and carriage...  I blew it up so that I could see it better... also so that my Mom could see it too...

A lot of paper laces and a gold dragonfly...



A pail and a shovel seem to be very important... as I had a lot of pictures with them in it... Growing up in Florida was a winter thing... and they ( My Grandmother and Mom and her brother and their Nanny, )  all went to Maine for the summer to be with my Great Grandparents...

The embossing folder is a piece that was cut from the center... and sometimes I just can't throw things out... so I used it here...  Again... check out that bonnet on my Mom...  wow... what a puffy bonnet it was... must have been starched .... something we dont' do anymore... thank goodness for some things... not my cup of tea...   I put a little bow by the flower... had to use some on this page...

 Another pail picture... but this one was taken on the rocks in Maine... with her little umbrella... I assume that the sweater was because they were not use to the cooler weather in Maine... being from Florida...

Growing up, I spent many a summer in Maine too on the same Island, with my Great Grandparents... who were alive until I was in my late teens...  I learned a lot of things from them... as they were very self sufficient in their way of life... I wish I could have learned more from them....


 Me and My Teddy is a favorite picture of my Mom's... I had to print it for her in 8.5 x 11 so that she could really see all the details... so very cute...

The little moon face is made from air drying clay... and it reminds me of my Mom's Mother... my Nana...  she loved things with the moon on it..

The Trust ticket... (Tim Ideology) is for the trust that one gives to their teddy bear... who else can you totally open to a small child... your teddy is your best friend...


 A picture of a little doll or maybe it was another teddy bear...

I had to use another tatting piece... and put it over the paper laces...

A little bit older and on a tricycle...

My Mom said that her hair use to be set on rags... and tied in knots... that must have been very comfortable...


The ticket is from Tim's ideology and the face I made from air drying clay... a little paper laces and a gold crown for the queen like child...



 Tricycles were a lot less money back then.... I am sure.. .as for the price??? I dont' think that they were this pricey.. .but not really sure...  My Uncle had a bigger one than My Mom's... so I guess that they were lucky plus...  I had this little chalk board to use... and took my white pne to write on it... love it...


 These look like blocks of wood from someone building an addition or something... My Mom did tell me once that there was a huge addition put onto their home, so this is most likely what the blocks were from...

They most likely had a lot of fun with them...


Some of the stories that my Mom has told me over the years as to what they did with the cats were horrible... so I will spare you from the details... but they did have quite a few cats and dogs...

Check out that seam binding bow!!!   LOVE IT...








 Speaking of dogs... this is the only picture that we can find of their beloved dog Skippy...


My Mom and Uncle were a little bit older now... but Skippy was certainly a  fond member of the family...

Okay... the little slide... I took a picture of a little girl with a guitar and put a piece of packaging plastic over it... and then put my copper tape on that ... love the look and it is not heavy like real glass... but looks like it when you see it.. .even when you feel it...

The letters... oh I found them in my drawer of stuff... can't remember when or where I got them... but they are effective... 

I personally had a lot of fun making this little book... it is only 5.5 X 8.5... and hopefully my mom will have many happy hours looking at it...  I am sure she will..

Hope that you have some old pictures that you can create art with... it is so much fun... I did use white paper... but I also used Antique Linen stain by Tim Holtz on each piece... the white was way too bright and stark... I used older laces that were already antiqued looking... I wanted it to be soft and old looking...

Thanks for stopping by today.. .and taking a look at this book... Have a good day...
Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE what you did with this album! WOW!!! I just posted pics of the album I presented to my Mom this past weekend for her "over 80th" Birthday on my blog at http://craftroomtransformation.blogspot.com that you might enjoy peeking at. Now that I've seen all you've done with those Spellbinders I've GOT to get a few! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete